The idea of reinvesting savings from one part of the child welfare system into another sounded perfectly logical when it was first proposed in a city strategy paper in 2001, especially to anyone unfamiliar with the vagaries of government social services funding. More than a decade ago, before Michael Bloomberg became mayor, New York City [...]
Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s latest strategy to reduce city expenses includes yet another round of budget cuts for programs that serve low-income children, youth and families. As part of his midyear financial plan, released in late November, the mayor directed city agencies to cumulatively carve nearly $1.6 billion out of their budgets for Fiscal Years 2011 [...]
Child Welfare Watch Vol. 13, Winter 2006/2007 (PDF) There are hundreds of New York City children with developmental disabilities in foster care, and thousands more in families investigated each year by child protective services following reports of suspected abuse or neglect. But because of decades of conflict between the city and state government, many of [...]
Follow @ChildWelfareNYC on Twitter
RECENT CWW REPORTS
Brushes with the law:
Young New Yorkers and the Criminal Justice System.
One Step Back:
The Delayed Dream of Community Partnerships.
A Better Future for Youth Leaving Foster Care.
A Need for Correction:
Reforming New York's Juvenile Justice System.
- Case Closed: Thousands More Teens Are Now Diverted From Juvenile Court December 10, 2012
- Child Welfare in the Storm: What Happens to Vulnerable Families after a Disaster? November 14, 2012
- A Need for Correction: Reforming New York’s Juvenile Justice System October 20, 2009
- For Years, Half of all NYPD Trespass Stops Were in Public Housing October 25, 2012
- Preparing New Group Homes for Young Lawbreakers June 1, 2012
- Budget Cuts Proposed for Afterschool and Childcare Programs… Again March 7, 2013
- Would Prison Closures Prevent Children’s Visits with Their Moms? February 8, 2013
- Budget Cuts Could Put New Burdens on Family Court January 31, 2013
- The Correctional Association’s Critique of Juvenile Justice Oversight Plan January 25, 2013
- Oversight for New Juvenile Justice Homes January 16, 2013
- John: Colleagues, I need to identify the study referr...
- at Yahoo: Very interesting points you have noted , regard...
- additional resources: Perfectly pent content material , appreciate ...
- Kathy: Now, let's get the boilerplate warning out of the...
- replica louis vuitton wallet: Hello, your articles here Child Welfare in the Sto...