Ashoka U is looking for fun, dedicated, innovative interns to work in the Ashoka Global office. They seek full-time and part-time interns for a minimum duration of eight to ten weeks. Applications are open on a rolling basis.
Ashoka U interns join the nine Ashoka U staff as key members of the Ashoka U team. They will work closely with the team and have the opportunity to work in a highly collaborative group environment.
In addition, interns have responsibility for a specific project. Previous years, projects have included: developing a PR and marketing plan for the Ashoka U Exchange, developing content for students at the Ashoka U Exchange, working on developing partnership opportunities for students to work with Ashoka Fellows, fundraising research and opportunity spotting, and designing and implementing a census for social innovation in higher education. Interns spend approximately 70% of their time on individual projects, 20% of time on Ashoka U team projects, and 10% of time on Ashoka-wide collaborations.
Interns will be located in the Ashoka Global Office in Arlington, VA (although they are willing to consider a virtual role). Unfortunately, they are unable to offer financial compensation for internships.
All summer roles begin June 1.
Changemaker Campus Selection Panel and Knowledge Intern | 30 to 40 hours per week (Washington, DC or Remote)
- Help organize the August 2017 Changemaker Campus Selection Panel, a 1.5 day event, where Selection Panelists (senior Ashoka staff, Change Leaders, Ashoka Fellows, higher education experts, and funders) come together with Candidate Campus Representatives for rounds of interviews and conversations to determine whether the Candidate Campuses are ready to join the Changemaker Campus Network.
- Create a database of social innovation ecosystem components of Candidate Campuses and Changemaker Campuses.
- Help with the buildout of the Fall 2017 360° Campus Scan Cohort, a semester-long (3.5 months), online, peer-to-peer learning experience with coaching from Ashoka U that helps two to three Change Leaders from a Candidate Campus assess their current ecosystem for social innovation and changemaking and build out a cohesive vision and action plan.
Interest/experience: event planning, communication and relationship management, knowledge management, research and writing skills
Videography & Content Curation Intern | 20 or more hours per week (Washington, DC)
- Collaborate with Ashoka U team to develop video content that tells the story of changemaking for the Ashoka U network
- Lead recording, editing, and video production for Ashoka U’s changemaking video content
Interest/experience: Interest in developing a deep understanding of Ashoka’s EACH vision, content capture & video recording, video editing
Knowledge Curation & Content Development Intern | 20 to 40 hours per week (Washington, DC or Remote)
- Support the development of various resource guides and mapping for social innovation educators
- Conduct research and develop resources to support learning about Ashoka’s “Everyone A Changemaker” vision as well as social innovation in higher education
Interest/experience: Research experience, experience in developing educational products, professional writing experience, program management and organization experience
Ashoka U Communications Intern | 30-40 hours per week (Washington, DC or Remote)
- Support the growth of impact of Ashoka U outreach and communications
- Create and manage content for Ashoka U social media channels
- Write and contribute to Ashoka U blog and other writing and research project
- Support team outreach campaigns as they arise
Interest/experience: mass communications, strong written and oral communication skills, research experience, professional experience with social media platforms such as twitter, facebook and instagram, strong organizational skills;
Experience encouraged: experience with Adobe Creative Suite platforms (Illustrator and/or InDesign), video editing, etc.
Are you a good fit for Ashoka U? For all Ashoka U internship roles, they hope the following describes you:
- Passion for and knowledge of higher education and social entrepreneurship
- Excellent writer (please carefully proof-read your materials before sending!)
- Dedicated focus on execution, while highly detail-oriented and committed to excellence
- Empathetic and effective relationship-builder with a deep understanding of the high-value of social capital
- A good listener who is humble and eager to learn
- A dedicated team player, who will be resourceful and do what it takes to get any job done well
- Previous office or professional experience preferred
- Your resume
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in higher education
- Three specific questions you have about Ashoka U
Please send your materials to Emily Lamb, Exchange Associate Director, at email@example.com.