Messages to the Community

The New School Spring 2020 Grading Policy

To All New School Students:

We hope this message finds you well and safe!

We know that you may be facing difficult challenges in order to finish your classes this semester. You may also have a lot of stress about how your grades will be affected. To be sure that you are not harmed by circumstances that you cannot control, you only will be assigned an A or A- grade for your Spring 2020 semester classes (grades of “I” for Incomplete, “W” for Withdrawal, and “Z” for Unofficial Withdrawal will be assigned if appropriate). 

Here is the full policy:

A, A- Grading (sometimes referred to as the Double-A policy)

For the Spring 2020 semester only, for all courses for which letter grades are normally assigned, faculty will assign grades of A, A-, I (incomplete), or Z to all students, as appropriate. Credits will be awarded for courses in which students earn A or A-, and quality points will be factored into students’ Grade Point Average (GPA). Please Note: There may be exceptions to this policy for certain programs, depending on requirements by licensure, accrediting or other regulatory bodies.

If you are not sure if your program has such a licensure requirement, please check with your program director.

All of the grades you earn in Spring 2020 will be counted in your overall earned Grade Point Average (GPA) here. You may also choose to withdraw from one or more courses until the last day of classes, May 13, here.

We want you to be able to concentrate on learning and finishing the semester successfully. We can do it together!

So stay well, stay in touch and let your course instructor or program director know if you have questions!

Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduates Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.