Expanded Student COVID Testing and Campus Access Updates
Dear Students,We hope this message finds you well. In response to student feedback and in an effort to improve The New School’s COVID-19 procedures, we have expanded the testing options available to students. Beginning today, testing can be completed at the location of your choice or at Mount Sinai, the university’s health partner.
As we communicated in our August 28 message, only students who plan to visit academic buildings one or more days per week during the fall semester are required to complete COVID-19 testing. Please continue reading for information about testing options, the daily symptom self-screening requirement, and steps to access academic buildings. If you plan to visit academic buildings less than once a week, you are not required to complete COVID-19 testing. Instead, please see instructions on how to complete the Daily Symptom Screening Requirement.
New COVID-19 Testing Information
Local Testing Locations – NEW
- Visit the New York Testing Sites website to find a testing site near you. Many locations provide walk-in testing services. Please call the testing site before you visit to verify testing availability and scheduling requirements.
- You will not be charged for your test if you visit a New York State testing site.
- You may be charged for your test if it is administered in a pharmacy or other medical practice. Contact the testing site and your insurance company in advance to confirm that you will not need to pay.
Mount Sinai Testing
- Pre-register for a COVID-19 test, and Mount Sinai will reach out to you within five (5) business days to schedule your testing appointment. Bring your insurance information and a form of identification.
- If you currently have an appointment scheduled with Mount Sinai, we encourage you to keep it. If you intend to cancel your appointment and get tested at another location, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submitting Proof of COVID-19 Testing
To be cleared to enter academic buildings while waiting for your COVID-19 test results, you are now required to submit proof of completing the test (including your name, testing location, the type of test performed, and the date the test was completed). Once you submit this documentation, you will receive a confirmation email that you are approved to reserve a campus space. Please refer to the Procedures for Using Campus Resources to review the reservation process. Submit your proof of completed COVID-19 test here.
Submitting COVID-19 Test Results
To maintain clearance to enter academic buildings, submit your COVID-19 test results as soon as you receive them and no later than eight (8) business days after completing the test. Once you submit your test results, you will receive a confirmation email that you are approved to continue reserving campus spaces.
If you do not submit your documentation within this timeframe, any existing reservations you have made will be canceled. If your COVID-19 test comes back positive, please schedule an appointment with Student Health Services immediately or email COVIDTesting@newschool.edu.
Daily Symptom Screening Requirement
Students who plan to access campus at any point in the semester must complete the Daily Symptom Screening Questionnaire on the days you intend to visit the campus, as established in the COVID-19 FAQ. Residential students living on campus must also complete the Daily Symptom Screening Questionnaire every day.
Please follow these instructions to complete the Daily Symptom Screening Questionnaire:
- Select “Employee Screening” (even if you are a student).
- In the company name section, enter “The New School” and click confirm.
- Answer the screening questions, then click the button at the bottom of the screen.
- You will be prompted to enter your information, and our vendor, MHealth Coach, will email a daily pass to you. The subject line of the email will appear as “COVID-19 Employee Screening.” Despite this subject line, this message’s contents apply to all New School community members, including students and employees.
- Show the daily pass to Campus Safety upon entering an academic building.
- Save the email from MHealth Coach because you must use the link each day you plan to be on campus to start your daily screening.
If you do not pass the daily symptom screening, you will not be permitted to enter academic buildings and must schedule an appointment with Student Health Services or email COVIDTesting@newschool.edu to be cleared for access.
Steps to Access Academic Buildings
- Get tested for COVID-19 (if you will be on campus one or more times per week)
- Submit proof of completing the COVID-19 test
- Reserve a campus space
- Complete and pass the Daily Symptom Screening Questionnaire on the day of your reservation
- To maintain clearance to enter academic buildings, submit your COVID-19 test results
Thank you for your patience as we continue to adapt our policies and procedures so students can safely use campus facilities. Please continue to refer to the COVID-19 Health & Safety page and COVID-19 FAQ for information about our plans for gradually reopening campus spaces.
Contact Student Health Services at COVIDTesting@newschool.edu with any questions about the COVID-19 testing and diagnostic screening processes.
All of us at Student Success are excited to welcome students to campus this semester and are here to help you meet your goals. Please keep us posted on how we can help you make the most of this opportunity.