Messages to the Community

Updated Information Regarding University Travel

A message from Stephanie Browner, Interim Provost and Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs, and Tokumbo Shobowale, Executive Vice President of Business and Operations

Considering the current evolving situation with COVID-19 around the world, The New School will continue its suspension of:

  • International business-related travel through the end of the academic year.
  • University-sponsored and/or organized international travel by groups for academic study or projects, research, conferences, or events through the end of the academic year.

Consistent with this decision, international travel of this type will not be paid for or reimbursed by the university during this period.  

Exemption Requests

There may be rare specific instances for which an exception to this temporary policy would be considered. If you believe you have a unique situation that may warrant an exception, you may request a review via your executive dean or vice president.

A Note on Faculty Research Travel

Individual faculty may travel internationally for academic study, projects, or research however they must adhere to all local, state, CDC, and WHO guidelines for travel and quarantine–both in the location abroad and upon returning home–and should be extremely cautious not to contribute in any way to the spread of the pandemic. Given its limited resources, the university cannot provide support or travel assistance for any faculty member to repatriate to the U.S.

A Note on Study Abroad

Students accepted to a New School approved semester-long study abroad program offered through an exchange partner or a third-party provider will be allowed to travel to and participate in the study abroad program. Participating students will receive updated policies and procedures to sign and follow, and will be required to sign a release form acknowledging that the university will not be able to guarantee support or travel assistance for any student to repatriate to their home country.

Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduates Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.