Messages to the Community

New Policy for Dining in the University Center Cafeteria

A message from Xenia Markowitt, Interim Vice Provost for Student Success 

Dear Students,

As the university shared last Friday, New York City (NYC) began enforcing a new policy this week requiring proof of full or partial COVID-19 vaccination to eat at indoor dining establishments. Despite our multi-layered approach to health and safety on our campus, this applies to our University Center cafeteria, and we are required to comply with this regulation.

Starting Wednesday, September 15, all community members regardless of vaccination status will be required to show proof of partial or full vaccination before entering the cafeteria. Those who have not received any dose of an FDA– or WHO-authorized vaccine, including those with approved exemptions, will not be able to eat in the cafeteria.

This regulation applies specifically to the cafeteria, and you will not need to show proof of vaccination to enter buildings. You must, however, remain current with the university’s vaccination and testing requirements.

Acceptable Forms of Proof of Vaccination

The following forms of proof (digital or paper) will be accepted:

  • CDC COVID-19 Vaccine Card
  • WHO Vaccine Booklet
  • New York State Excelsior Pass
  • Official documentation provided by a health care professional/organization/country

Please note: The name on your vaccination record must match the name on your New School ID card, and your record must be in English or accompanied by a certified English translation. 

Steps for Entering the Cafeteria

  1. Have your proof of vaccination ready to show at the check-in table outside the cafeteria.
    • This could be a picture or paper copy of one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above.  
  2. Show your proof of vaccination and New School ID card to the staff member at the table.

Unvaccinated Individuals with Approved Exemptions

Unvaccinated community members cannot eat in the cafeteria but will be able to pick up grab-and-go options to eat elsewhere on campus, including outdoors and other designated spaces on campus.

Thank You

The university is aware that the City’s new requirement will present challenges for those members of our community who have received approved exemptions from our COVID-19 vaccination policy. The policy may also affect other indoor campus spaces, and we will communicate those additional spaces and impacts to the community if and when they are identified.

We appreciate everyone’s continued patience and flexibility and are grateful for your adherence to our protocols and commitment to caring for our community.

Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduates Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.