Updates to Campus Access for Winter Term
A message from Dr. Renée T. White, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs; and Tokumbo Shobowale, Executive Vice President for Business and Operations
Dear members of The New School community:
Due to recent increases in COVID-19 cases in New York City and among our community, the university is making changes to campus access policies and guidance for the Winter Term, which runs from Monday, December 20 through Sunday, January 23.
Effective immediately through the Winter Term, all non-essential, non-academic, in-person activities on campus are suspended. Employees unsure of whether their duties are considered essential should be in touch with their manager.
- Residence halls remain open.
- The Making Center, rehearsal rooms, and practice spaces remain open. Standard reservation protocols are in place.
- While indoors on campus, we strongly recommend that everyone wear two masks (e.g., a cloth and surgical mask).
- When eating indoors, sit at least 6 feet apart from others and for no longer than 15 minutes.
- Managers should talk to their teams as soon as possible about the specific tasks that cannot be performed remotely. Staff performing essential end-of-year work on campus are encouraged to reserve a seat at the Admin Hubs, which will operate at reduced capacity to limit crowding in offices.
Winter Term courses will shift to remote instruction. Deans’ Offices will be in touch with faculty and enrolled students about specific next steps and details for Winter Term courses.
The university intends to proceed with in-person instruction for Spring 2022, beginning Monday, January 24. We will confirm the academic schedule by Wednesday, January 19 to allow as much time as possible to make an informed decision based on guidance from public health agencies and the conditions in New York City and on our campus.
Stay safe and healthy during break.
- Get a booster as soon as you are eligible.
- On Monday, December 20 and Tuesday, December 21 from 8:00am to 6:00pm, there will be a mobile booster clinic outside the University Center at East 13th Street and Fifth Avenue. No appointments are necessary.
- Binx tests are available for pick up and drop off on campus 9:00am to 4:00pm Monday, December 20 through Wednesday, December 22. On-campus test distribution restarts at 9:00am on Monday, January 3.
- Travel only if you are feeling well and if you have recently received a negative PCR test result.
- We strongly recommend that everyone wear two masks (e.g., a cloth and a surgical mask) while indoors or in large crowds
We appreciate your flexibility with these changes, which are necessary and will protect our community. Please continue to look for updates throughout the Winter Term and as we prepare for Spring 2022.