Update: Signed, Sealed, Delivered – Our Successful Agreements with 1205P and 32BJ
On Friday afternoon, Teamsters Local 1205P ratified a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with The New School. 1205P union represents our professional employees, including AV and IT technicians, program administrators, and Student Success advisors.
After more than 7 months of weekly, good-faith negotiations, the parties came to a mutually beneficial renewal agreement that provides important enhancements while staying within the university’s financial means, including:
- A one-time $2,000 salary adjustment for unit members who were employed as of May 1, 2022.
- Salary increases across the board through 2026.
- Provisions to support time off and professional development goals, including measures to facilitate better planning and use of compensatory time and accrued paid time off.
With the terms of a successor agreement now in place, we will begin the process of implementing this new agreement, which takes effect retroactively to January 1, 2022.
In addition, on July 20, 2022, SEIU Local 32BJ, the union that represents The New School’s Security Officer Division, ratified a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) on a renewal contract with the university. This strong and fair four-year agreement provides important enhancements for 32BJ’s unit members in ways that are sustainable for the university. These enhancements, which are in addition to negotiated general wage increases, include:
- A $3,000 ratification bonus in recognition of the union’s dedication and sustained efforts throughout the pandemic that enabled students, faculty, and staff to safely access campus.
- Reduced time for new employees at the New Hire rate (cutting it in half from 12 months to six months).
- The addition of Juneteenth as a recognized holiday.
- Employee participation in the Performance Management program in alignment with non-union administrative staff.
These outcomes are a testament to strong relationships with our union partners, and the willingness of the unions and the university to work towards consensus positions that benefit our employees, our institution, and our entire university community.