Update on Contract Negotiations with ACT-UAW Local 7902
A message from Tokumbo Shobowale, Executive Vice President for Business and Operations
Sonya Williams, Vice President for Human Resources
To The New School Community,
We want to provide you with an update on the current status of negotiations regarding the part-time faculty contract. Today, The New School presented a significant, new offer at the bargaining table – a comprehensive offer for a full contract, which includes an average increase of 20% in total compensation, including a one-time bonus in year one of the contract for all part-time faculty in academic year 2022-2023. This offer is responsive to each of the priorities identified by the union, and we urged union leadership to present the offer to part-time faculty for review and ratification. This enhanced proposal sets a new, more significant total package for the union to consider and respond to as part of the collective bargaining process. It does not represent the university walking away from negotiations. It includes but is not limited to:
- A 7% wage increase for all part-time faculty in the first year of the contract, in addition to a $2,100 pandemic bonus – totaling a 20% average increase in total compensation in academic year 2022-2023 upon ratification of the contract.
- In addition, 2.5% wage increases in the second through fifth years. This amounts to an 18.1% increase in wages alone by the fifth year.
- An additional medical plan offering to choose from, and expanded eligibility – meaning more part-time faculty than ever can access affordable medical insurance.
- A 10% retirement contribution for eligible part-time faculty – with no contribution required from them.
- Improved job security – including expansion of cancellation remedies, increased appointment terms and up to three new full-time faculty positions each year that are available exclusively to part-time faculty applicants.
This is in addition to changes that will improve part-time faculty input into shared governance, funding for professional development, expanded tuition waiver benefits, and more.
Because time is of the essence, the university asked the union to respond to this offer by 12:00pm on Tuesday, November 22.
Please know that we deployed and committed every available resource to present an offer that reflects our deeply held respect for part-time faculty. Importantly, we believe this proposal also will allow the university to meet its obligations to the entire community while continuing to provide exceptional educational experiences for our students.
The university has done all it can in providing a significantly enhanced proposal, and we implore the union to do everything it can to reach an outcome that allows our community to move forward – together.