Latest from Labor Relations

University Seeks to Begin Contract Negotiations with SHENS in May and with SENS in the Summer

Earlier this month, the university notified SHENS-UAW Local 7902, the union representing our Student Health Employees, that we are ready to begin contract negotiations. Starting now will provide both parties with ample time—nearly two months—for negotiations before the current three-year contract expires at the end of June.

We look forward to working together with the SHENS bargaining team to reach a fair successor agreement for its 20 members. The SHENS unit includes valued health care workers such as therapists, counselors, nurses, social workers, physicians, physicians’ assistants, nurse managers, the director of wellness, and the director of community health.

Over the summer, we expect to open negotiations with SENS-UAW Local 7902, representing Academic Student Workers, whose contract continues until August 31, 2023.

There is still healing to be done following the difficult negotiations and strike with the part-time faculty union last fall, and we are mindful that some community members may be concerned about upcoming negotiations. The New School firmly believes that unions are a vital and valued part of the university community, and we are committed to working as diligently and efficiently as possible during each negotiation process to reach successor agreements. We know that energetic and vibrant debate is part of the normal course of negotiations, and we expect to find common ground and reach successor agreements in the upcoming negotiations with both unions.

Just recently, the university and the union representing our part-time faculty at the School of Jazz and Contemporary Music successfully reached a successor agreement. We are approaching negotiations with our Student Health Employees and Academic Student Workers in the same positive spirit to reach mutually beneficial outcomes.

You can stay updated on our Union Negotiations at The New School page and by following @knowournewschool on Twitter and Instagram.

Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduates Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.