Latest from Labor Relations

Bargaining Session Update: SENS-UAW Local 7902, Academic Student Workers

A Message from Sonya Williams, Vice President for Human Resources

Today, the university met with SENS-UAW Local 7902—the union representing our Academic Student Workers. 

The union presented four proposals during the session, including on timeliness of pay, space and equipment, intellectual property rights, and hiring and onboarding. The university also engaged substantively with the union’s previously shared proposals that address bargaining unit information and discipline and discharge. The university is committed to listening to the issues that the union raised on behalf of its members. We are reviewing all of their proposals and are looking forward to getting back to the bargaining table to discuss them further.

We’re available 24/7 to move things forward

The university will continue to make every effort to move things forward quickly. We are available anytime—including after-hours—to continue bargaining before the next scheduled session on September 11 (which is after the contract expires on August 31). We hope that the union will agree to meet with us before then.

Our commitment to transparency

We were pleased that we were able to work with the union to provide Zoom access for bargaining committee members who were not able to join today’s session in person. During the session, the union and university also agreed to continue discussing how to make these bargaining meetings available for the community, and we hope to share a mutually agreed approach before the next meeting. 

We are committed to remaining transparent throughout the process and will share updates on our Union Negotiations page. You can also stay updated by signing up for email updates here, and by following @knowournewschool on Twitter and Instagram. 

Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduates Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.