Celebrating Ten Years of Student Leadership
On Thursday, April 26, a lively room of students and staff came together to celebrate excellence in student programming, leadership, and community building throughout The New School. Hosted by the Office of Student Development and Activities, the tenth annual Student Leadership Awards Banquet presented twenty awards in thirteen different categories, including Outstanding Student Leader of the Year, Outstanding Program of the Year, and Outstanding Student Organization of the Year.
The evening was co- hosted by Claudie Mabry, a graduating student from Eugene Lang College who is also a former Orientation Leader and Talib Hudson, a student at Milano School of International Affair, Management and Urban Policy in the Urban Policy program and a member of the Toastmaster’s International student organization. President Van Zandt thanked the students for their hard work and Linda Reimer, senior vice president for Student Services, echoed his sentiments and presented the Senior Vice President for Student Services Alma Mater awards to five graduating students. This year, attendees also enjoyed an excerpt from the musical Cabaret performed by members of the Musical Theatre Organization (MTO), a recognized student organization.
Following are the award categories and winners:
- Outstanding Student Organization or Group: Students of the African Diaspora (SOAD)
- Community Service and Civic Engagement: Jennifer Terry (NSPE)
- Outstanding New Student Organization of the Year: Nuev@ Latin@
- Senior Vice President for Student Services Alma Mater Award: Rhiannon Love Auriemma (Lang); Elliott Fukui (Lang); Melissa Holmes (Milano); Sarah Lorya (NSPE); Alison Schuettinger (NSSR)
- Outstanding Advisor to a Student Organization: Lori Lynn Turner (Feminist Writers’ Organization)
- Outstanding Student Leader of the Year: Camilo Godoy (Parsons/Lang)
- Outstanding International Leadership: Paloma Garcia Simon (Parsons)
- Bridge Building Award: Caitlin Vogt (Lang)
- Outstanding Student Program of the Year: Battle of the Bands, organized by Hillary Capps (Lang) and Amanda Beyer (Lang)
- Emerging Leaders: Natalie Marrero (Lang); Paulette Shubin (Lang); Khonsu Spratt (Lang)