New School News

The Newcard Takes on the Village

Attention New School community: Your newcard ID has an exciting new function. This semester, the university launches newcardcash, a debit card feature on your ID card that can be used at select off-campus merchants as well as at The New School’s cafeterias. Now, participants can deposit funds right onto their cards, which can then be used around Greenwich Village. Venues such as 5 Napkin Burger on East 14th Street, French Roast on West 11th street, and even CVS/pharmacy on University Place are already on the list, with much more to come. For a full list of participating merchants and other details, check out the newcard website.

The new program is similar to the existing Dining Dollars program, where your ID card can still be used on a tax-free basis on campus. However, the newcardcash program also includes access to a growing number of merchants all across the city, though purchases made off-campus are taxable like any other retail purchase. Additionally, funds deposited into your account are made on a voluntary basis (unlike the required Dining Dollars) and they do not expire until leaving The New School permanently. Participants can add money by using the online portal ( linked through MyNewSchool and going to the “Add Dining Dollars” which can be found under the “Student” tab.  You can also authorize others to add funds online to your account via the same link.  Should you wish to add funds in person, you may visit the Campus Card Services office on 66 West 12th Street and make your payment there. Balances remaining on your card at the end of semester will simply roll over to the next.

Be sure to stay tuned for the latest updates on new vendors visiting our webpage.

Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduates Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.