The New School News

The Stone at The New School will take up residency in the Glass Box Theater.
The Stone at The New School will take up residency in the Glass Box Theater.

The Stone, Acclaimed Experimental Music Venue, Moves to The New School

A composer, arranger, producer, and saxophonist whose work cuts across many genres, John Zorn has been at the vanguard of experimental music for his entire career. In 2005, he established The Stone, a tiny, but influential performance space that presents avant-garde music to intimate audiences.

After 13 years in the East Village, Zorn and The Stone will play to a larger room — and have the support of a storied institution with a tradition of experimentation — when they relocate to The New School’s College of Performing Arts in February 2018. The move expands on a partnership that began five years ago when Zorn started curating “The Stone Workshops at The New School,” in which artists present half-day educational residencies. News of the move was immediately picked up by The Village Voice, The New York Times, and WBGO.

“I am really excited about this next phase of The Stone,” says Zorn who was recently interviewed in The New York Times about the move. “Dean Kessler, Provost Marshall, their team, and I put together a framework for The Stone to continue serving as an artist-centric home and community for experimental and avant-garde artists, where they can perform what they want without any interference by the venue. We will continue all of the traditions of The Stone, moving it to greatly improved space, and opening up significant opportunity to draw energy from the students at Mannes, School of Jazz, School of Drama, and the entire New School.”

The Stone, which will take up residency in the Glassbox Theater, will feature opportunities for students to attend performances and open rehearsals, and provide production support. There will also be joint performances by Stone artists and students, and commissions of works by Stone artists.

Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduates Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.