‘Docsville’ is Hiring: Associate Producer For a Documentary Film and Film Series
Docsville is the destination for independent thought provoking and inspiring global documentary films designed for viewers looking to better understand our world and the key challenges of our time. It was set up and launched in 2018 by award-winning documentary maker Lawrence Elman and Nick Fraser, previously with BBC Storyville. Today Docsville is also involved in financing and co-financing of new documentaries, acquiring new films, and creating a comprehensive back catalog of documentaries.
About the Position
Docsville is seeking a full-time Chicago-based Associate Producer for a documentary film and film series on the life of a major Civil Rights Figure for a Chicago-based production. The Associate Producer (AP) will work closely with the New York-based Archival Producer and Chicago-based Producer to support the project’s production and archival storytelling needs beginning in the summer of 2022 and continuing through Spring 2023 and possibly beyond.
Day to day archival responsibilities will include research, acquisition, digitization, logging, and deliveries to edit, with evolving responsibilities related to clearance, licensing, fact check and final deliverables as the project moves toward completion. The ideal candidate is curious and imaginative, a great problem solver, has stellar research skills, and is extremely organized and detail oriented. In many ways, archival is the heart of this project. So the ideal candidate should also have a strong sense for story, a keen eye for visuals, an interest in a wide range of subjects, and a love of collaboration in a documentary filmmaking environment.
While this position is primarily an in-office position, each month the project will be in production in Chicago for a few days. Production responsibilities may include assisting with Covid protocols, crafty, lunch orders, paperwork, office admin, running errands, tracking invoices, petty cash, and reconciling receipts. The AP will work closely with the Chicago Production Manager and provide assistance on the production as needed.
Skills & Qualifications
● 3+ years of work experience, ideally documentary production and/or archival research
● Experience in archival documentary production at a production company a plus
● Strong time management skills
● Strong communication & interpersonal skills
● Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
● Familiarity with Excel, Google Sheets, Filemaker Pro and AVID a plus
● Excellent computer skills in Mac environment
● $1000 – $1250/week depending on level of experience
● Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to DocsvilleChicago@gmail.com
● In your cover letter please include why working on a project about a Civil Rights figure is of interest for you and why you are a good fit for this job.
● Use this subject heading for your email: Associate Producer – Your Last Name.
● Applications without a cover letter, resume and three references will not be considered.
● Application Deadline: Thursday, July 15, 2022 at 5pm CST
Thank you for your interest in working with Docsville!