Update on the Start of the Spring Semester
A message from Dr. Renée T. White, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs; and Tokumbo Shobowale, Executive Vice President for Business and Operations
Happy New Year and we hope everyone had restful and healthy holidays. As we shared in December, the university has been closely monitoring conditions in New York City.
In keeping with our commitment to safe in-person learning, we are making several adjustments for the start of the semester to allow for a careful return to campus, including two weeks of remote instruction, increased entry testing, and the previously announced booster requirement. These changes, along with our high vaccination rate, mask requirement, and commitment to caring for our community, will help bring us back together safely in person as soon as possible and minimize disruption to the semester.
Remote Start for the Spring Semester
The Spring semester will begin online to enable students, faculty, and staff to complete entry testing and minimize disruptions for a safe and healthy return to campus.
- Starting January 24, all classes will begin online. In-person instruction will resume on February 7.
- Campus is open. While classes are meeting online for two weeks, we encourage everyone to come to New York to take advantage of on-campus resources.
- Binx tests are available.
- The Making Center, rehearsal rooms, and practice spaces are open. Standard reservation protocols are in place.
- Libraries and the Equipment Center will be open.
- Residence Halls remain open. New student move-in dates are not impacted. Dining services will offer grab-and-go options.
- Some reserved spaces will be available for students to participate in remote classes in the first two weeks of the semester. More information will be provided soon.
- Staff are encouraged to reserve a seat at the Admin Hubs.
- Administrative offices will have an on-campus presence during this two week period to support in-person campus access outlined above.
Increased Entry Testing
Everyone should test weekly (with a PCR test) in the three weeks before the switch to in-person classes on February 7.
- Entry Test 1: January 16 – January 22
- Entry Test 2: January 23 – January 29
- Entry Test 3: January 30 – February 5
Everyone needs to upload a negative PCR test within seven days before their first time on campus. If you are traveling back to campus, please test before traveling to ensure you are negative when you arrive.
If you need to access campus before January 24, make sure you take and upload a negative PCR test result from within the NYC area within seven days before accessing campus for the first time.
PCR tests are required for entry testing. We strongly recommend using on-campus binx tests to ensure timely results. If you use an outside PCR test provider, upload your result as soon as possible.
- All community members must receive a booster by January 21, even if you have recently tested positive.
- Upload your documentation to the SHS Portal as soon as possible.
- Report positive tests from Winter Break as soon as possible.
- Upgrade and ensure your mask is in line with CDC guidance (e.g., two masks including a surgical mask, KN95, KF94).
- Campus updates, including ongoing testing protocols, will be announced by February 2.
Spring 2022 Checklist
- Now: Campus is open.
- January 16 – January 22: Take Entry Test 1.
- January 17: University is closed (and on-campus tests unavailable) for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- January 21: Upload documentation of a booster.
- January 23 – January 29: Take Entry Test 2.
- January 24: Official start of the Spring semester; all classes begin with remote instruction.
- January 30 – February 5: Take Entry Test 3.
- February 2: Campus updates, including ongoing testing protocols, will be announced.
- February 7: Classes begin to meet in-person.
We look forward to welcoming everyone on campus. Thank you for your continued efforts to help keep our community safe and healthy.