Migration Studies Minor (supported by the Zolberg Institute on Migration and Mobility)
About Global Studies
Global Studies is an interdisciplinary, university-wide bachelors program at The New School. Global Studies is about social transformation and justice. We combine rigorous academic inquiry with experiential learning through research and practice, to prepare our students for a future in which they are oriented towards improving existing systems — locally and globally — and gain the knowledge and experience to change them.
- Global Studies teaches students to critically examine power structures and analyze pressing issues while introducing them to contexts, causal dynamics, and perspectives far from daily headlines.
- Global Studies students learn to think across disciplines and scales, to understand our own implication in how things came to be and to pursue innovative responses to seemingly intractable problems.
- Our faculty includes practitioners in a variety of academic disciplines as well as professions including advocacy, community organizing, and international law.
- Experiential learning is an integral part of Global Studies, and the major creates opportunities for students to apply their knowledge through internship, volunteer, and fieldwork experiences in New York and abroad.
- The program also offers unique opportunities for sharing experiences and coursework with urban studies, environmental studies, food studies, and foreign languages.
- Students with strong academic standing can apply for an accelerated Bachelors/Masters option leading to graduate degrees in International Affairs, Politics, Urban Policy, Media Studies, among others.
In learning to transform ideals into action at the global level, students prepare for careers in the non-profit sector, public service, international organizations, global media, development, the arts, research organizations, education, and law, as well as graduate study in the social sciences, and more.
Bachelor’s Program and Eugene Lang students can declare Global Studies as their major. For more information about Global Studies at The New School, including updates on events and courses contact email@example.com.