Dear TCDS Alumni & Friends,
As you probably know, or may have seen in our previous post ‘A Letter From Budapest: Central European University Facing Death Sentence’ featuring an open letter from CEU President and Rector Michael Ignatieff, the Central European University in Budapest is under attack. We would like to share a few ways you can join the #IstandwithCEU movement (below).
The Hungarian government has proposed amendments to the National Higher Education Law that would make it impossible for Central European University – and possibly other international institutions – to continue operations within the country.
These changes would endanger the academic freedom vital for CEU’s continued operation in Budapest and would strike a blow against the academic freedom that enables all universities to flourish.
It is time for friends, supporters, and educational and academic communities to defend our institution and the independence of higher education institutions around the globe.
How to help
Below are a list of tools that you can use to help show your support and solidarity with CEU.
We encourage you to:
- Write a letter in solidarity with CEU
- Contact your MP, MEP, Senator/Representative, Ambassador, Hungarian Congressional Caucus
- Sign this Change.org petition
- Share your solidarity on social media using #istandwithCEU
- Use the #istandwithCEU profile picture found on CEU’s Facebook page
- Send suggestions or notifications of support to: Support_for_CEU@ceu.edu