Transregional Center for Democratic Studies

We protest against the promotion of far-right prejudice in Polish Universities: please sign the petition!

Recent developments in Poland:

TOMEK KITLINSKI endangered: please sign the petition!










Przemysław Czarnek, Governor of the Lublin Region in Eastern Poland and an incoming MP to the Polish Parliament representative of the ruling Law & Justice Party, has just been awarded the medal Amicis Universitatis Mariae Curie-Skłodowska. This prestigious and highly respected sign of recognition has been conferred upon a public official who speaks openly against Ukrainians and Muslims, frames gender as ideology, and emboldens the expression of racism, xenophobia, and homophobia in Poland. His statement last year in which he called Lublin’s Pride March for Equal Rights “a promotion of perversions, deviations and degeneration” contributed to the incitement of violence by right-wing groups against participants in the march.

Among those who have protested against this honor — bestowed by the University on a public official who incites hatred towards others — is a member of the University faculty, Professor Tomek Kitlinski, a philosopher, writer, and recipient of many academic awards, among them a Fulbright scholarship in the U.S. (at the New School for Social Research), who is well known for his work on lessening distances and building bridges between people. Kitlinski wrote a public letter in which he cites the practices of a public official that thrive on hatred. In a campaign against Kitlinski personally, Governor Czarnek has just informed the State Prosecutor about the possibility of Kitlinski’s having committed a crime against the State by striking at the Governor, that is, at a constitutional office of the state.

If you support Kitlinski’s freedom of speech and his fight against racism, xenophobia, and homophobia in Poland, please sign the letter of protest!


Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduates Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.