Program Information – POSTPONED
29th Democracy & Diversity Graduate Summer Institute
Wrocław [Vrots-love], Poland, July 2-18, 2020
Participants will be housed in the ‘Brownstone Under the Angels’ Residence located adjacent to the historical city center: http://kamienicapodaniolami.pl/en/
Graduate applicants: Applicants should have completed their undergraduate studies by the time of the Institute and should be either enrolled in postgraduate degree programs or working as junior university teachers or researchers. Preference will be given to those applicants who can demonstrate active involvement in civil society and civic life.
Advanced undergraduate applicants: Applicants must be enrolled as juniors or seniors. Preference will be given to those applicants who, while academically inclined, can demonstrate an active interest in civic life.
- Participants from The New School:
Tuition: Tuition for applicants from The New School is based on the tuition they pay at their respective home divisions. New School financial aid is applicable. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.
Program Fee: The program fee of $1,500 covers participants’ room and board (breakfast and lunch) for the duration of the Institute, as well as the cultural program, lectures, tours, opening and closing receptions, etc. Travel costs are not included. Successful applicants can apply for support in their respective divisions. New School for Social Research (NSSR) students may apply directly to TCDS for support in covering the program fee. We encourage all applicants to look for outside funding sources.
- Participants from other institutions in the US and abroad:
Program Fee: The program fee of the 2020 Graduate Summer Institute for non-New School students is $1,500, covering tuition (non-credit), room and board (breakfast and lunch), and the cultural program of lectures, tours, opening and closing receptions, etc. Travel costs are not included. We strongly encourage all applicants to look for funding sources from their home institutions and local organizations.
TCDS offers a limited number of partial scholarships to cover a portion of the program fee. All applicants are considered for these scholarships and no additional application forms are required in order to be considered for a partial scholarship.
In addition, TCDS offers a limited number of full scholarships to students from Eurasia (Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Armenia, Georgia, Turkmenistan, Belarus) & students from Turkey! Full scholarships include travel to and from Poland, room and partial board (breakfast and lunch every day, dinner is not included), and tuition.
COURSES OFFERED: please see the available courses here.
New School students register for 2 courses and receive 6 credits. Other participants will receive Institute certificates. All participants select 2 out of the 4 graduate-level seminars.
HOW TO APPLY
Application form is available here.
- All Applicants from The New School need to submit:
- Completed application form
- CV or resume
- Application essay (300 – 500 words describing how the Institute would complement one’s academic experience to date and enhance educational and professional goals for the future)
- New School academic transcript (unofficial)
- All other Applicants need to submit:
- Completed application form
- CV or resume
- Application essay in English (300 – 500 words describing how the Institute would complement one’s academic experience to date and enhance educational and professional goals for the future)
- One letter of recommendation sent from the e-mail address belonging to its author or as an upload to the application form if scanned
- TOEFL or other evidence of substantial English language skills is required if coming from a non-English speaking country
- Applicants affiliated with an NGO or a civic organization should also include a brief description of the nature of the work undertaken by their organization.
SAMPLE APPLICATION FORM: D&D Application Form 2020 – Sample
WHERE TO SUBMIT
- Applicants from The New School: Please submit application materials to TCDS here.
- Applicants from Eugene Lang College: Please submit application materials to TCDS here. Please be sure to send a copy of your application to LangStudyAbroad@newschool.edu
- Applicants from Poland: Please submit application materials here.
- All other Applicants: Please submit application materials here.
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE
Please email us your initial expression of interest (an email will suffice) by latest March 15th at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all New School applicants, complete applications are due March 30, 2020.
For all other applicants, complete applications are due April 6, 2020.
For more information, please visit our website: http://blogs.newschool.edu/tcds or contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 212 229-5100 ext. 3136.